Wild Rice Research Plot Assistant (Job ID: 322435)
The research plot assistant will be part of a wild rice research team engaged in improving cultivated wild rice varieties. The research plot assistant will help maintain field research plots, and support wild rice breeding, production, and agronomical research. The validity of research depends upon the quality of work in the research plot assistant position. This position has diverse responsibilities and will rely heavily on general agricultural and farm maintenance knowledge.
- Conduct experiments in research plots both onsite at the NCROC and at 2-3 on-farm sites under the direction of the project leader including planting, harvesting, and plot maintenance. This includes the maintenance and operation of water pumps, irrigation pipes and paddy dikes to create and maintain an artificially flooded environment. (25%)
- Collect research data through sampling and note taking, analyzing and summarizing collected data. Keep detailed records of experiments and procedures in lab notebooks, data bases, spreadsheets, and web-based applications. (25%)
- Assist in winter nursery activities in the greenhouse including but not limited to seed and plant management, crossing, harvesting, and greenhouse maintenance. (25%)
- Maintain field and lab equipment through scheduled maintenance. (20%)
- Other duties as assigned. (5%)
- BA/BS or a combination of related education and work experience to equal four years; applies knowledge and skill to a recurring task or activity with emphasis typically on precision and timeliness of execution.
Contact Dr. Jennifer Kimball (email@example.com) with any questions.