Ph.D.: Cornell (1992)
Year Appointed: 1998
Areas of Interest
Wheat breeding and genetics
I lead a comprehensive wheat improvement program, including cultivar development and the investigation of breeding/genetic principles related to crop improvement. Major research effort is genetic investigations of complexly inherited traits including disease resistance and grain quality and incorporating resistance into new cultivars using marker-assisted selection. I teach a graduate level plant breeding class, coordinate a one credit survey course on Research Methods in Crop Improvement and Production, and co-teach a First Year Experience Seminar for undergraduate students.
Current Laboratory Projects:
- Develop high yielding, hard spring wheat germplasm and varieties with improved resistance to FHB, other diseases, and acceptable agronomic and end-use characteristics (Anderson) (supported by: MN Agricultural Experiment Station, US Wheat and Barley Scab Initiative, and MN Wheat Research and Promotion Council)
- Mapping of Ug99-effective stem resistance genes in wheat (Itamar Nava) (supported by United Kingdom's Department for International Development (DFID) and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation via Cornell University (http://wheatrust.cornell.edu/))
- Mapping of an Inhibitor of Fhb1, the major QTL for Fusarium Head Bight Resistance in Wheat (Seda) (supported by: US Wheat and Barley Scab Initiative)
- Molecular Diversity, Linkage Disequilibrium and Genetic mapping in East African wheat (Macharia) (supported by Monsanto Beachell-Borlaug International Scholars Program (http://www.monsanto.com/ourcommitments/Pages/beachell-borlaug-international-scholars-program.aspx))
- Stem rust resistance gene mapping (Prabin Bajgain) supported by T-CAP (http://triticeaecap.org)
- Leaf rust resistance gene mapping (Kathryn Turner) supported by T-CAP (http://triticeaecap.org)
- Characterization of wheatgrass-wheat hybrids (Kathryn Turner) in cooperation with The Land Institute (http://www.landinstitute.org/)
- Rollag 2011
- Sabin 2009 Anderson, J.A., J.J. Wiersma, G.L. Linkert, J.A. Kolmer, Y. Jin, R. Dill-Macky, G.A. Hareland, and R.H Busch. 2011. Registration of ‘Sabin’ wheat. J. Plant Registrations in press.
- Tom 2008 Anderson, J.A., J.J. Wiersma, G.L. Linkert, J.A. Kolmer, Y. Jin, R. Dill-Macky, G.A. Hareland, and R.H Busch. 2011. Registration of ‘Tom’ wheat. J. Plant Registrations in press.
- RB07 2007 Anderson, J.A., G.L. Linkert, R.H. Busch, J.J. Wiersma, J.A. Kolmer, Y. Jin, R. Dill-Macky, J.V. Wiersma, G.A. Hareland, and D.V. McVey. 2009. Registration of ‘RB07’ wheat. J. Plant Registrations 3:175-180.
- Ada 2006 Anderson, J.A., R.H. Busch, D.V. McVey, J.A. Kolmer, Y. Jin, G.L. Linkert, J.V. Wiersma, R. Dill-Macky, J.J. Wiersma, G.A. Hareland. 2007. Registration of ‘Ada’ wheat. Crop Sci. 47:434-435.
- Ulen 2004 Anderson, J.A., R.H. Busch, D.V. McVey, J.A. Kolmer, Y. Jin, G.L. Linkert, J.V. Wiersma, R. Dill-Macky, J.J. Wiersma, and G.A. Hareland. 2006. Registration of ‘Ulen’ wheat. Crop Sci. 46:979-980.
- Oklee 2003 Anderson, J.A, R.H. Busch, D.V. McVey, J.A. Kolmer, G.L. Linkert, J.V. Wiersma, R. Dill-Macky, J.J. Wiersma, and G.A. Hareland. 2005. Registration of ‘Oklee’ wheat. Crop Sci. 45:784-78.
Minnesota Wheat Acreage by Variety (courtesy MN Wheat Research and Promotion Council) 2011 (link to pdf attachment)
Variety Trials (https://www.maes.umn.edu/publications/field-crop-trials)
Ghazvini, H., C.W. Hiebert, T. Zegeye, S. Liu, M. Dilawari, T. Tsilo, J.A. Anderson, M.N. Rouse, Y. Jin, and T. Fetch. 2012. Inheritance of resistance to Ug99 stem rust in wheat cultivar Norin 40 and genetic mapping of Sr42. Theor. Appl. Genet. 125:817-824.
Rouse, M.N., I.C. Nava, S. Chao, J.A. Anderson, and Y. Jin. 2012. Identification of markers linked to the race Ug99 effective stem rust resistance gene Sr28 in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Theor. Appl. Genet. 125:877-885.
Simons, K., J.A. Anderson, M. Mergoum, J.D. Faris, D.L. Klindworth, S.S. Xu, C. Sneller, J.-B. Ohm, G.A. Hareland, M.C. Edwards, and S. Chao. 2012. Genetic mapping analysis of bread-making quality traits in spring wheat. Crop Sci. 52:2182-2197.
Tsilo, T.J., S. Simsek, J.-B. Ohm, G.A. Hareland, S. Chao, and J.A. Anderson. 2011. Quantitative trait loci influencing endosperm texture, dough-mixing strength, and bread-making properties of the hard red spring wheat breeding lines. Genome 54: 460-470.
Tsilo, T., G.A. Hareland, S. Chao, and J.A. Anderson. 2011. Genetic mapping and QTL analysis of flour color and milling yield related traits using recombinant inbred lines in hard red spring wheat. Crop Sci. 51:237-246.
Choulet, F., T. Wicker, C. Rustenholz, E. Paux, J. Salse, P. Leroy, S. Schlub, M.C. Le Paslier, G. Magdelenat, C. Gonthier, A. Couloux, H. Budak, J. Breen, M.Pumphrey, S.X. Liu, X.Y. Kong, J.Z. Jia, M. Gut, D. Brunel, J.A. Anderson, B.S. Gill, R. Appels, B. Keller, and C. Feuillet. 2010. Megabase level sequencing reveals contrasted organization and evolution patterns of the wheat gene and transposable element spaces. Plant Cell 22:1040-4651.
Akhunov, E.D., A.R. Akhunova, O.D. Anderson, J.A. Anderson, N. Blake, M.T. Clegg, D. Coleman-Derr, E.J. Conley, C.C. Crossman, K.R. Deal, J. Dubcovsky, B.S. Gill, Y.Q. Gu, J. Hadam, H. Heo, N. Huo, G.R. Lazo, M.-C. Luo, Y.Q. Ma, D.E. Matthews, P.E. McGuire, P.L. Morrell, C.O. Qualset, J. Renfro, D. Tabanao, L.E. Talbert, C, Tian, D,M. Toleno, M.L. Warburton, F.M. You, W. Zhang, J. Dvorak. Nucleotide diversity maps reveal variation in diversity among wheat genomes and chromosomes. 2010. BMC Genomics 11:702-723.
Yu, L-X, S. Liu, J.A. Anderson, R.P. Singh, Y. Jin, J. Dubcovsky, G. Brown-Guidera, S. Bhavani, A. Morgounov, Z. He, J. Huerta-Espino, M.E. Sorrells. 2010. Haplotype diversity of stem rust resistance loci in uncharacterized wheat lines. Mol. Breeding 26:667-680.
Mergoum, M. K.D. Glover, J.A. Anderson, D. Gigax, J. Berg, P.K. Singh, J.K. Ransom, and P.J. Isakson. 2010. Development and agronomic performance of transgenic roundup ready spring wheat in the North Central Plains of the United States. Agron J. 102:1462-1467.
Tsilo, T.J., J-B. Ohm, G.A. Hareland, and J.A. Anderson. 2010. Association of size-exclusion HPLC of endosperm proteins with dough mixing and breadmaking characteristics in a recombinant inbred population of hard red spring wheat. Cereal Chem. 87:104-111.
Chao, S., J. Dubcovsky, J. Dvorak, M.-C. Luo, S.P. Baenziger, R. Matnyazov, D.R. Clark, L.E. Talbert, J.A. Anderson, S. Dreisigacker, K. Glover, J. Chen, K. Campbell, P.L. Bruckner, J.C. Rudd, S. Haley, B.F. Carver, S. Perry, M.E. Sorrells, and E.D. Akhunov. 2010. Population- and genome-specific patterns of linkage disequilibrium and SNP variation in spring and winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). BMC Genomics 11:727-743.